For all learners, with or without SEND, sensory stories can be much more interactive and engaging than stories read traditionally. In this course, you will learn about the critical characteristics of a sensory story, why this method of storytelling supports multisensory learning and how to create a sensory story easily using our helpful template, which is available to download.
£36 (including VAT.)
- Introduction and course structure
- Course outline
- Your expectations of this course
Module 1: What is a Sensory Story
- Module 1: What is a Sensory Story?
- Overview of Sensory Stories
- How is a sensory story different from a traditionally read story?
- Key characteristics of a sensory story
- Why do we need sensory stories?
Module 2: How to create a sensory story
- Choosing a book as the basis for a sensory story: published or creating your own?
- Introducing and using a template for a sensory story
- Enhancing the sensory elements of a story
- Differentiating your sensory story
- Sensory Stories and Scavenger Hunts
Module 3: Sensory Story Environments
- In the classroom or learning environment
- In the multisensory room
- Portable Story Environments
Module 4: Using technology in a sensory story
- When is technology appropriate for a sensory story?
- iPads and portable projection for a sensory story
- iPad and Android apps for a sensory story?
- Using sound and music in a sensory story
Richard Hirstwood is the founder of and lead consultant for Hirstwood Training.
He is passionate about enabling educators/practitioners to maximise the impact of delivering sensory learning opportunities, in a sensory room or other learning environments, with the resources available to them.
His extensive experience is based on practical knowledge, giving him insight into what works and what doesn’t in multisensory practice. Regular sessions with children and adults with autism and all additional needs in a variety of multisensory and classroom settings enable him to maintain this level of excellent practice.
Although I have known something about sensory stories and practised them in my class setting, thanks to this course I have got new ideas and tools.
Loved it all.
Using bag books, scavenger hunts, how to use iPads and portable projectors for sensory stories, concepts explained clearly. Umbrellas to enhance storytelling. Videos, clear presentation. I found it very interesting and informative.
It was all fantastic and has given me loads of new ideas.