On this practical day, Naomi Rosenberg explores how to create a focused, positive sensory learning environment for pupils with severe and complex learning needs. She shares simple, but dynamic, ideas pupils will find irresistible to engage with, supporting their personalised learning within a sensory curriculum.
Communication, the basis for most personal & educational objectives set but a huge challenge for many pre-formal and semi-formal learners, is also addressed; with a plethora of ideas to facilitate meaningful communication opportunities.
At the end of the day delegates will:
- have the knowledge and understanding to create a more focused learning environment for pupils with complex & severe learning needs
- understand how to make sensory activities explicit and accessible
- understand how to use a ‘Clonkerboard’ or resonance board
- have a wealth of songs, chants, stories, and sensory play ideas to develop communication, turn-taking & co-operation and interaction with peers
- have a range of ideas on how to combine senses to support sensory integration
- experience how ‘Dance Massage,’ an intensive interaction approach, can contribute to pupil’s improved mental health and physical well-being
- understand how making small changes to the classroom environment and working practices can maximise learning and communication
Why Focused Learning for pupils with SEND?
Naomi’s courses are experiential and lively, with many opportunities for delegates to participate hands on in focused learning activities. These are easy to replicate and implement and will be invaluable to you in your classroom or setting.
When and where?
30 November 2018 – NCVO, London
Who should attend?
This will be appropriate for classroom practitioners from special schools and colleges, mainstream settings with specialist SEN provision and early years settings, who are working with pupils with PMLD/ CLDD.
The learning continues after the course has ended with an online copy of all pertinent presentations, video & documents from the day on our website, for you to share with your colleagues and continue your learning journey long after the training has finished!
Times & housekeeping?
We begin the day from 9am with coffee and registration. Presentations will begin at 9.30am and finish around 3.30pm.
All refreshments and a lovely lunch are provided! Please let us know on your application form if you have any specific dietary requirements. Please note, we always cater for vegetarians.
£225 plus VAT per place including refreshments & lunch.
Who is presenting?
Naomi Rosenberg is an experienced Teacher of the Deaf who has chosen to work with children with severe and complex needs and/or autism. She has combined her teaching with consultancy and training and volunteers for Sense; keeping her work up to date and relevant. She has also been a short break foster carer for children with SEND. She passionately believes in inclusion and develops activities and opportunities for all children to work and play together; facilitating choices and creative communication strategies using all of the senses.
Naomi addresses the following questions – and shares a variety of solutions for each.
How can we create focused sensory experiences that will support a pupil’s personalised learning?
How can I create opportunities for interaction, turn-taking & communication in group activities?
How can I ensure my focused sensory learning activities are engaging, but not over-stimulating?
What do we really mean by ‘a positive sensory learning environment’?
Why is it essential that the learning environment for pupils with autism is highly individualised?
How do I enable my pupils with autism to build more successful relationships with their peers?